Air Force women’s tennis dropped a 4-3 Mountain West contest at Utah State (6-8, 1-4 MW) Saturday morning at the Sports Academy and Racquet Club in Logan, Utah. The Falcons dropped to 14-5, 3-2 MW on the season.
The Falcons rallied back from a 2-0 deficit to take a 3-2 lead. The Aggies also rallied back however, by winning the final two singles matches.
Air Force dropped the doubles point to open play. The Falcons won at No. 1 singles, as Vivian Glozman and Karina Chao defeated Lavatai/Dekkers 6-0. Utah State then won at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles.
In singles, the Aggies went up 2-0 after winning at No. 3 singles. Air Force then won the next three singles matches at No. 1, 4 and 5.
Glozman won at No. 1 in straight sets over Lisa Kung 6-4, 6-1. Karina Chao then won at No. 4 in straight sets over Annaliese County 6-3, 7-6 (7-5). Hailey Stelse next won at No. 5 in three sets over Sidnee Lavatai 6-2, 4-6, 6-1.
The Falcons were unable to hold the lead as Utah State won at No. 6 and No. 2 singles. The deciding match at No. 2 went three sets.
“It was a great team effort and the match easily could of gone our way,” head coach Kim Gidley said. “Karina Chao was down 4-1 and and came back to win in straight sets – saving set points and then Sydney Fitch was down 5-0 in the third set and 40 love and she saved 6 match points before Utah State clinched the match 4-3. Our team fought for everything and I was proud and motivated by their effort.”
The Falcons return to action Sunday against Boise State in a neutral-site match back in Logan. Live stats will be available for the match.
Air Force at Utah State – USU 4-3
1. Vivian Glozman/Karina Chao (AF) def. Sidnee Lavatai/Gabrielle Dekkers (USU) 6-0
2. Zeynep Naz Ozturk/Lisa Kung (USU) def. Isabella Flodin/Sydney Fitch (AF) 6-4
3. Annaliese County/Carolina Millan (USU) def. Hailey Stelse/Alex Kuo (AF) 6-4
Order: 1, 2, 3
1. Vivian Glozman (AF) def. Lisa Kung (USU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Carolina Millan (USU) def. Sydney Fitch (AF) 2-6, 7-6 (7-5), 7-5
3. Zara Ryan (USU) def. Alexis Odom (AF) 6-2, 6-0
4. Karina Chao (AF) def. Annaliese County (USU) 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
5. Hailey Stelse (AF) def. Sidnee Lavatai (USU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-1
6. Gabrielle Dekkers (USU) def. Alex Kuo (AF) 1-6, 6-4, 6-4
Order: 3, 1, 4, 5, 6, 2